Once again, you—yes, YOU—are invited to be part of a video offering of “Jesus Christ is risen today, Alleluia!”—the tune known as "Easter Hymn." The video will resemble the virtual choir & congregation video of “O come, O come, Emmanuel” offered by this community last Advent, a video that was profoundly moving to many who saw it. No matter if you have no experience in choirs, if you think your voice isn't good enough, if you've only recently connected with Saint Mark's, or where you are physically located... your participation is needed!
In order to honor the ancient practice of suppressing Alleluias during Lent, we must record our submissions before Lent begins. For that reason, videos must be received by midnight on Shrove Tuesday, February 16. Easter this year falls on April 4.
Record yourself (either alone or with your household!) singing along with the "guide track" video (below). Then submit your video using the button below. That's it! More detailed step-by-step instructions are below.
Here are the words and music for the last verse of the hymn.
You will need (1) a device to film yourself with (a phone, computer, camera, etc), (2) headphones, and (3) a device to play guide track. It is possible to use one device (say, a laptop) to serve both roles, or you can use two separate devices.
- Set up the device to film yourself. The device should be sitting somewhere stable—not in your hand or on your legs. Make sure your entire face is in the frame, the camera lens is about eye level, there is enough light on your face, and that you are not lit from behind.
- Set up the device to play, through headphones, the guide track video at this link. PLEASE NOTE: The purpose of the headphones is so that the video you submit will have only your voice, and none of the sound of the guide track. This makes the editing process a little easier. However, if you are filming your entire household, or if for any other reason it is difficult for you to record yourself without also having some sound from the guide track audible as well, that is okay! Turn the volume of the guide track as low as you are able, and submit your video anyway!
- In the video, you will hear the organ play the last line of the previous verse, then you will see and hear Choir School Director, Rebekah Gilmore, sing your verse – verse 4 – of the hymn. Sing with Rebekah, watching her visual cues for when to begin.
- Sing along with the video once or twice to practice. When you're ready to record your video, hit record on your filming device, hit play on your video-playing device, and go for it!
- Check that your video looks okay, and that it contains only the sound of your voice (if possible). Remember: Everyone hates the sound of their own voice recorded! Don't worry that you don't sound "good enough." It's much more important that you are together in time with the guide track.
- Submit your video by clicking this . If you have recorded your video on a smartphone, you should be able to open this page in your phone's browser, click the button, and then upload directly from your device. Then you're done!
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having trouble and we will try to help.