STRATEGIC PLANNING AT SAINT MARK'S
2023 Strategic Planning Committee
In April 2023, the Vestry recommended convening a Committee to develop a new Strategic Plan for the next 18-24 months as Saint Mark’s envisions ways of being Church in a post-pandemic world. The Committee launched in July 2023 and will be engaging the parish and Cathedral community for input including exploring how the current mutual ministry goals orient our mission and purpose. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Committee is approaching this work through the lens of transformation using a model adapted from the College of Congregational Development -- Sources of Transformation. “Transform” is one of Saint Mark’s guiding principles – We seek to be transformed by love and to share this love generously with others.
All congregational life can be a source of transformation as the Spirit moves in our midst – these sources in continual flow with one another as we respond to God’s presence in our lives and in the community:
- WORSHIP & PRAYER – how we acknowledge the holiness of God in corporate worship, how we hear God’s Word, offer and respond to prayer, engage in music, and celebrate the sacraments.
- FORMATION & JUSTICE – how we come to know God through our mind, heart and bodies and respond in ways that promote peace, love, reconciliation and restoration.
- STEWARDSHIP – how we give and share our time and resources, how we care for our campus and buildings, and how we care for Earth.
- LIFE IN COMMUNITY – in the togetherness, how we experience the sharing of meals, conversation, story, silence and connection.
Strategic Planning Survey Now Live
SURVEY OPEN NOW UNTIL NOVEMBER 30
The Strategic Planning Committee invites you to complete a brief, anonymous survey. Responses will help develop and guide a shared vision for this community as we engage our mission and ministries in the next 18-24 months. Find the online survey here. If you would like a paper copy of the survey, contact Erik Donner (206.323.0300 x217). Please submit your responses by Thursday, November 30.
2023 Strategic Planning Committee members: Seyi Akanni, Canon Wendy Claire Barrie, Elli Howard, Scott Hulet, Michael Kleinschmidt, Julia Logan, Kathy Minsch, Emily Meeks (Co-Chair), Michael Perera, The Rev. Linzi Stahlecker, Dean Steve Thomason, Alexandra Thompson (Co-Chair) and Doug Thorpe
- April 2023: Vestry recommends convening committee to develop a new strategic plan, looking at the next 18-24 months in the life of Saint Mark’s.
- July 2023: The Strategic Planning Committee kicks off monthly meetings.
- September 2023: Transformation Tree at Ministry Fair Sunday - reflect on a source of transformation and place it on the tree
- October 2023 - January 2023: The Committee begins outreach to the parish with group ministry conversations and all parish survey.
- Sunday, October 29, 2023: select a source of transformation by adding color in a vase
- November 19-26, 2023: spiritual practices activity in between 9 am and 11 am services - bring a photo or visual representation of a spiritual practice that transforms
- November 30, 2023: parish survey responses due
- Sunday, December 10: Coffee Hour with Committee members in between 9 am and 11 am services
- Sunday, January 28: Parish Forum at 10:10 am
- Saturday, February 10: The Committee will share the Strategic Planning Recommendation at 2024 Vestry Retreat.
- About Saint Mark’s
- Mutual Ministry Goals
- Statement of Lament and Commitment to Action
- 2020 Strategic Plan at Saint Mark’s
Strategic Planning Engagement Activities
At the September ministry fair, parishioners had the opportunity to reflect on sources of transformation at Saint Mark’s. The creative inspiration was designed and developed by Alan, Alexandra, Nicole and Rebecca Thompson.
View the word cloud of comments shared here.
Adding Color to Show Source of Transformation
On October 29, 2023, there was a hands-on opportunity to engage in a visual and colorful way -- adding color to show where parishioners have experienced transformation.
Giving Thanks for Transformation - Spiritual Practices
From Sunday, November 19 through Sunday, November 26 parishioners are asked to bring photos or poems that share a source of transformation or centering spiritual practices.