- This event has passed.
Candidate Check-In/Rehearsal for Confirmation Liturgy
May 7, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am
Cathedral Day is a celebration of the community of the Diocese of Olympia—a “family reunion” for Episcopalians from across western Washington. Both Cathedral Day 2020 and Cathedral Day 2021 were cancelled due to the pandemic, but Cathedral Day will be back in May 2022, with all the fun and fellowship of this beloved tradition. This is a time for connecting across communities, experiencing your cathedral in a new light… and a lot of fun. There’s something for everyone—no matter your age!
Come together on Saturday, May 7! You can join in the festivities in-person at Saint Mark’s if you’re able to be physically present, or join remotely via the live-stream if you have a health condition, physical limitation, or any other reason that prevents you from attending in-person. A liturgy of Holy Eucharist with the rites of confirmation, reception, and reaffirmation for candidates from parishes near and far will begin at 10:30 a.m., opening with a grand, colorful procession of parish banners. Following the service, all are invited to have lunch from food trucks and participate in activities for all ages. This year’s festivities will include Jerusalem Greer from the office of the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, who will lead a workshop and a prayer walk.
Food truck lunch is free with advance registration. All parishes in the diocese are encouraged to send a representative with their parish banner for the procession, whether or not there are confirmation candidates from your parish. For more information, contact Tonja May at firstname.lastname@example.org or Canon Wendy Claire Barrie email@example.com. Register at 2022-cathedral-day.eventbrite.com
2022 Schedule for Cathedral Day
(schedule subject to change)
- 9 a.m. • Candidates and sponsors check-in
- 9:15 a.m. • Candidates and sponsors rehearsal in the nave
- 9:45 a.m. • Candidates meet with Bishop Rickel in Bloedel Hall
- 10:10 a.m. • Procession of candidates and parish representatives forms in front of cathedral (outdoors)
- 10:30 a.m. • Festive Holy Eucharist with Rites of Confirmation, Reception, and Reaffirmation
- 12 p.m. • Food trucks ready for lunch service
- 1–3 p.m. • Time for fellowship, and activities for all ages!
- Bounce house sponsored by Camp Huston, scavenger hunt, collaborative art project, garden activities including making seed bombs, planting, and recycled paper airplanes that will be launched from the organ loft.
- Meet New Friends icebreaker activity, music, labyrinth, Indigenous Coast Salish artist Peter Boome’s art show, tour of the mighty Flentrop organ, garden-themed photo booth
Evangelism and Creation Care Workshops
- 1–1:45 p.m. • Jerusalem Greer, Evangelism Officer of the Episcopal Church, and Brian Sellers Petersen, Diocese of Olympia Agrarian Missioner and Good News Garden Consultant, invite you to “Bee” Spreaders of Good News!—A workshop on gardening and evangelism.
- 2–2:45 p.m. • Jerusalem Greer leads a Neighborhood Evangelism Prayer Walk.
- 2–2:45 p.m. • Brian Sellers Petersen invites hands-on participation in the Leffler House garden .