Saint Mark's Cathedral Choir School
Inviting young people to life-long growth as musicians,
as liturgical leaders, and as beloved children of God.
Why do we sing?
We make known the love of God and the beauty of God’s creation through song, learned from many cultures and many faith traditions.
Saint Mark’s Choir School singers are ministers of music. We aspire to teach, to learn, to inspire and to lead the varied communities of Saint Mark’s Cathedral, the Diocese of Olympia, and the city of Seattle through our work as liturgical ministers. All children are welcome in Saint Mark's Choir School.
What curriculum do we use?
Saint Mark’s is a member of the Royal School of Church Music in America (RSCM). The curriculum, based on RSCM’s Voice for Life, emphasizes well-rounded musicianship as well as life long growth in music and faith; vocal and ear training as well as theoretical knowledge; and ministry through liturgical leadership and community service.
What does the 2021-22 season look like?
We are pleased to welcome choristers back in person this fall! Singers will be masked and rehearsal spaces altered to allow for adequate air circulation and social distancing. We will be able to again make music together.
Below are the Choir School COVID safety policies:
- All staff and parent volunteers are currently vaccinated. Children of all ages are now required to be vaccinated. Parents will be asked to show proof of vaccination for their child by the below dates:
- Saturday, December 11th: All singers must have received their first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine. This is necessary for Pageant participation.
- Wednesday, January 12th: All singers must have received their second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine.
- For now, choristers will be rehearsing in the nave, Bloedel Hall, and the adult choir room that all have been tested showing excellent air turnover rates.
- Choristers will be masked when singing indoors.
- If choristers are experiencing any symptoms of illness (fever, chills, diarrhea, coughing, nasal congestion, loss of taste/smell), they must have a negative Covid-19 test or remain home. We encourage all singers to remain home if having strong symptoms of illness.
How does my child join?
Enrollment: Enroll your child using the online Choir School Registration Form. Enrollment is welcomed in September and January -- occasionally mid-year start dates will be determined by the Choir School staff. Please email us with questions: email@example.com.
Tuition: Tuition will be $150/semester for each chorister and can be paid through the cathedral website here. Scroll down to "Choir School Tuition" line. If tuition is a hardship for your family at this time, we can offer partial or full scholarships due to the generosity of some of our other families. Don't hesitate to ask. We want your children to sing!
Who are Saint Mark's Choristers?
Boys and girls, 5 years and older, beginner level
Rehearsals: Tuesdays 4:45-5:30 p.m. or Wednesdays 3:30 - 4:15 p.m.
Our youngest choir, where singers learn basic musicianship skills in a fun and engaging atmosphere. Their music is drawn from a variety of cultures and sung in a variety of languages. They sing primarily at Sunday morning services about once a month.
Boys and girls, intermediate level, determined by director
Rehearsals: Wednesdays 4:30-6 p.m.
This choir sings at Sunday morning services about twice a month. Members receive small group instruction in musicianship, vocal technique, and liturgical ministry. They also participate in special events and services such as the annual Pageant of the Nativity and Palm Sunday.
High school aged youth and changed-voice boys
Rehearsals: Wednesdays 7:30-8:30 p.m.
This choir sings at Sunday Eucharists once each month. Members are expected to lead the Choir School in behavior and bearing, and receive advanced small group instruction in musicianship, vocal technique and liturgical ministry. Special events include: Children’s Choir Festival, Tours to local Parishes, Pentecost Run/Ride at Greenlake, and more.
Evensong Senior Choristers
Choir School Choristers, by invitation
Rehearsals: Wednesdays, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Our most advanced Senior Choristers will be evaluated and invited to join this group to sing with the Cathedral Schola and adults for Evensong Services. Membership in the Senior Chorister choir is required to be considered for the Evensong Choir.