Offering rites for sacred moments of transition is one important role that Saint Mark's plays in the community. Weddings at the cathedral must be performed within certain guidelines. Please review the information below carefully and contact the cathedral to take the next steps.
Saint Mark's Cathedral has a long history of beautiful beginnings for couples entering into a committed relationship together, including for same-sex couples. Here is some important information for considering the Cathedral as the sacred place for your wedding:
As the first step, please read the Wedding Guidelines for the Service of Christian Marriage at Saint Mark’s Cathedral. This document sets expectations regarding the nature of the wedding service, the interactions with the priest who will officiate your wedding, and many other specifics.
- Marriage ceremonies at Saint Mark's are performed according to an authorized liturgy of the Episcopal Church, and one of the cathedral clergy officiates in nearly all cases.
- Couples wanting to be married at Saint Mark’s Cathedral are expected to attend services at Saint Mark's to become familiar with the cathedral community and its worship life.
- One member of the couple must be a baptized Christian and all couples are expected to engage in pre-marital counseling.
- Fees for weddings. (Note: No member of Saint Mark’s Cathedral is ever turned away because of inability to pay the fees. If these present a hardship, please talk with the priest officiating your service.)
- Facility fee: $2200 for the cathedral; $1200 for Thomsen Chapel
- Organist fee: $350
- Soloist or Instrumentalist (optional): $175-$250 (Note: Musicians are appointed from Saint Mark’s own pool of qualified singers and instrumentalists.)
- Livestream fee (optional): $750
A $500 deposit is required at the time the Cathedral is reserved for your wedding. This deposit is nonrefundable but can be transferred to another date. All fees must be paid in full prior to the rehearsal.
After you have reviewed the Wedding Guidelines, schedule an initial appointment with one of the Cathedral clergy by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206.323.0300. We will book a date for your wedding only after you have read these guidelines and met with one of the Cathedral clergy.
Thank you for your interest in Saint Mark's Cathedral as a holy place in which to begin your new life together!